Monday, May 4, 2009

Equipped to Serve

Photobucket
Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

This verse holds so much meaning for me. I long to serve God, wherever He wants me to serve. Until He calls me! LOL! Then I start to question if I'm supposed to be doing this or that for the Lord. I say things like,

"I'm not real comfortable with that."

or

"This isn't my area of strength."

Here is a quote that has helped me keep things in perspective:

God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called.

I believe this is an important truth. I know of so many Christians who aren't serving God. I ask myself why and the only answer I can think of is this, "People are waiting to be equipped before they step out in faith to serve God."

If the above describes you, stop waiting and step out in faith to serve God wherever He has opened up a door for you.

Remember what Moses said after God called him to be His mouthpiece:

Exodus 4:10-12 Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

Did you notice that God doesn't offer to just "heal" Moses of his speech disorder? No, instead God expects Moses to stay dependent on Him. Unfortunately, Moses doesn't have the faith he needs and insists that God find someone else to do the job. (Read the rest of Exodus 4 to find out what God does.)

Let's not be lacking in faith when it comes to serving God. Let's bless Him by being willing vessels to do whatever He asks of us.

Are you currently serving in a ministry? If you are, I'd love to hear a brief description of what you're doing and how God has equipped you.

8 comments:

Angela said...

Leading Bible Study Monday nights at my home.

Teaching RCIA classes (new converts to the Catholic Church)....

God is the One that has equipped me. I could NEVER do this. Not on my own. I would fall flat on my face.

I think having a willing spirit is what God is looking for. Not education, prestige, success, but a willing child of His that will allow Him to work in and through them...

AWesome post sis.

B His Girl said...

Hi Sonya,

I haven't stopped by in awhile. Seeing your family photo made me smile. What a bright beautiful bunch you are blessed to serve! I know your household is busy! This passage with Moses and God's call to him is special to me. His call always leads us to something we can't do without Him. I am serving the Lord helping women in poverty with household items for their homes. The Lord has given me a heart and resources to reach out to them. I also continue my call to speak to audiences about Jesus. It is not something I would have signed up for but I chose to believe the Lord knew what He was doing. He has been and continues to be Faithful and True to everything He has said. I love the adventure of walking with Jesus. May you continue to be obedient to His work in your life. You are blessed to be a blessing. B

Yolanda said...

Co-facilitating our Community Wide Bible Study. Of course writing for Him through Higher Grounds. Just retired so I know that God will continue to stretch me...and I'm excited to see what that is. I've already been asked to do a tag-team for a session in Women's conference.

I want to tell you though that all of this, ALL is way out of my comfort zone but it is a BLAST with God.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Heart2Heart said...

I believe at this time, I am doing what God has called me to do. I am writing in my blog, homeschooling two amazing daughters and manning the fort while hubby travels away on business.

I have that quote on the bottom of my emails and get so many compliments.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Beth Herring said...

This is just such a timely word Sonya. I think that we as Christians have to be willing to serve.I don't think that we need to "Pray about it". When someone asks us, I feel like GOd has already directed paths and we just need to say "YES"!

You speak to my heart,
Beth

Leslie said...

I'm a teacher at a Christian preschool. Three years ago our Director decided to step down and asked me to take her place. I used to read Exodus 4 a lot! I kept asking God to please send someone else to do the job. I served as our school's Director for 2 years. I stepped down for various reasons but have remained on staff as a teacher. I am so grateful for those 2 years because I feel they have equipped me to serve Him in ways that I never thought I could!

Spring M Fricks said...

Hi Sonya, I have missed you friend. Equipping. That is the name of my game right now. I am immersed in God and he is pushing me out of my nest just like a Momma pushing a baby bird. And, things are happening. I can't wait for the full anointing of it.

On Purpose said...

How am I equipped? By living in everyday moments with a God who is constantly reminding me that its only by His grace that I can live!