Sunday, January 17, 2010

Got Talent?



If you've been a church goer than you've probably heard the story of the talents.  If you want to reference it, look in Matthew chapter 25.  I will sum it up here. 

There was a rich man who was going on a trip so he called together his three servants.  To one he gave 5 talents, to the next 3 talents, and finally he gave the remaining servant 1 talent.  They were to watch over these talents while he was away. 

When the ruler returns, the servant who had been given 5 invested the talents and was able to return 10 to the master. They servant who was given 3 talents did the same and returned 6 talents to the master.  The servant who was given 1 talent, gave the master this story of being afraid of the master so he buried the talent and returned it to the master.

Needless to say, the master was angry with the servant who was given one talent because he didn't use it, so the talent was taken away from him and given to the one with 10 talents.

At my writer's meeting (Richmond Christian's Who Write), they described the talents as being gifts (like writing). We've all been given at least one talent.  God expects us to use it/them for His glory.  For all of you writer's reading this:  If you've written something then carefully put it away in a drawer (or it's lost on your hard drive) - that's not using your talents!  You've buried it. 

I want to be like the other two servants, who gained a return for their talents.  It's a new year, and we have new opportunities to be used (published) by God.  I am going to submit more articles this year because I want to glorify God with my talent.  I hope you resolve to do the same with your talents.

I'll leave you with this quote by Oliver Holmes, "Don't die with a song still in your heart."

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Sounds like you were greatly inspired at the meeting!!! Sorry I missed it, but good to be home with my kids. I'll catch up with you this week!

achildoftheking said...

A great reminder Sonya. Thank You LORD for using Sonya to remind us of your talents in You. In Jesus' name, amen.

gemini said...

yes. God said He will always supply our needs. talents and all, He will always provide us with the best talents so we can glorify Him always. So let's share what we have. thanks for the beautiful article.

North Jersey Christian Writers Group said...

Sonya,
Thanks for sharing this post! This was the very verse that God laid, no pushed, on my heart at She Speaks in 2008. It's a long story, but with this verse, I knew that I was giving in to fear like the wicked and lazy servant who buried his talent because he was afraid. In unmistakable fashion, God got my attention.

I'd like to say that I've been faithful ever since, but not true. So thank you for sharing this reminder to me to stop digging a hole to hide in and invest in His kingdom.
Susan