Monday, September 14, 2009

Soothing

When you think of the word SOOTHING what comes to your mind?

How about if I asked you how you would sooth an infant? Perhaps you would consider giving the upset baby a bottle, burping the baby, changing their diaper. But if that doesn't work, you might try to rock the baby or even walk and gently pat the baby on the back.

Now your baby is 10 years old and angry because life has been hard and her world is falling apart around her. How would you sooth your baby now? It's not as easy to come up with an answer when they start to get older.

PhotobucketOne of the most import skills that we can teach our children is how to sooth themselves when life gets tough. A great way to do this is to buy a very soft stuffed animal and rock your child while they hold and stroke the animal. Then pray and ask God to give you a blessing to speak over them.

Even adults enjoy rocking.

Now fast forward to today. You are the one who needs to be soothed - your life isn't going the way you had hoped or perhaps you are just having a bad day. What can you do to sooth yourself right now?

Here are some common things we turn to as adults: Alcohol, s#x, the computer, food.

I know that I glean great comfort from the last two on the list. But those kinds of things don't bring a lasting peace - they are only a temporary fix.

Instead, we need to turn to God. He is the only one that can heal our pain, mend our hearts, and fill the void that we often feel in our lives. And He wants us to bring our burdens to Him. He wants to hold us while we rock. He wants to sooth us.

2 Corinthians 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort.


PhotobucketJust last night, I was alone and feeling a little down about this or that and I sat in the rocking chair and just began to worship God with singing. I immediately felt His presence and He enveloped me with peace and love. I didn't want to leave that place, or that feeling so I lingered a while.

He is so much more satisfying than anything the world could offer.

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Amen & Amen!

Greg C said...

Sonya. Everything I see, hear and read today is telling me the same thing. Stop and listen. God is trying to talk to me. I know it. And yes all those other things are only temporary bandages to fix what is really broken in our lives.

Yolanda said...

For me, it was just spending time alone with Him, in a relaxed atmosphere and not in a hurry to be elsewhere. Oh how I enjoy my slower mornings!

To dwell, with Him.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Heart2Heart said...

Sonya,

This is so true that we all have a tendency to reach for a band aid fix for our lives, when we need to be reaching out to God instead. Only His touch provides the healing our souls and minds and body needs.

Thank you for posting this as I am sure so many needed to hear this.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post and one I needed today....Thanks

Jane In The Jungle said...

You said it all...Amen!

Samantha said...

Amen.
Beautiful post, thank you for sharing.
~ Blessings to you dear friend !

Mary said...

Hi Sonya, this is a wonderful truth to share. It does become more difficult to soothe away the cares of the world...with the world. Only the Lord God can bring lasting comfort and healing from deep wounds, and only the Lord can bring deep and lasting joy in good times as well.

God bless!
Mary

Edie said...

Excellent Sonya. Now I wish I had a rocking chair.

He really is the only source of healing. I'm in need of some of that myself.