Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Being Sensitive

Have you ever been involved in a car accident? About three years ago, I was driving my SUV on the narrow country roads where we live, when a full-size pick-up truck with extended side view mirrors was passing me in the other lane. Apparently, there wasn't room enough for the both of us, because we smashed side view mirrors! What a tremendous noise it made, CRASH!!!

Thankfully, I was in the SUV alone. We both stopped and exchanged insurance information, even though neither of us filed a claim. It was a true accident in every sense of the word.

What happened afterwords was strange. For the first month or so, every time a pick-up truck drove past me, I would grit my teeth and close my eyes! Yes, I realize that closing your eyes is not the best thing to do, but it was almost involuntary. I was expecting to hear that load blood curdling CRASH again. After the first month with no more incidents, I was able to keep my eyes open, but I still cringed. At some point, maybe three months or so afterwords, I stopped anticipating another crash and I began to relax on the back roads again.

Recently, I gave up the television for a period of time. I felt the Lord calling me to spend some extra time with Him. After I felt released from this, I began to watch the T.V. again, like I used to, only everything had changed. I began to see the evil in the shows that I used to watch! I was repulsed at what I was seeing!! Even the commercials were shocking to me. Had everything changed in the short period of time that I had abstained from T.V.? NO, I had just become sensitive to the evil on T.V. again. Unfortunately, I had previously been numb to sin.

The Word of God tells us in Philippians 4:8 Finally, my brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are right, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think on these things. I believe that the reason we are told to think on good things is to keep us sensitive to the sins that are around us. If the enemy of our souls can desensitise us to sin, then he has the chance to tempt us. Let's not give him the upper hand!

11 comments:

Kelly said...

wow - this is God's truth for sure! The commercials & shows are evil. I realize this when me kids are in the room when the TV is on. I'm not a huge TV watcher anyway, but my husband is, and I do not allow the kids in the room when the TV is on.

This was a great post.

Sue J. said...

I've experienced the post car accident trauma and the media sensitivity trauma--both very real!

And, you're right, it doesn't take anything but our eyes or ears on a 30-second commercial for Satan to draw us right back into the world.

Thanks for sharing His wisdom with us this morning!

Tammy said...

Great Post!

There is so much(all truth)in what you shared. The moives,TV shows and magazines I used to watch and read,I now find offensive.

One of my favorite verses is:Romans 12:1-2

Nicole said...

Great post Sonya! So true about the TV. Some shows just make me sick to my stomach!!! I pray that the Lord keeps me sensitized to the evil around me!!!


Love,
Nicole

The Patterson 5 said...

We stopped watching most of TV years ago(except Mr P's favorite sport teams Go NC State-I had to work that in!) and often feel out of the loop when people mention shows we've never even heard of. I've found TV to be a huge time sucker as it sucks in huge hunks of time. The world of advertizing tells us lots of lies about how to live, how we need so many products to be content, not to mention how non G rated- shows and commercials are these days. Thanks for your post reminding us to stay away from the lies and focus on the truth!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh wow - isn't the Lord so awesome to reveal things to us in this way?

Bonita said...

So true! I needed to hear this today!

I had to laugh as I pictured you closing your eyes and driving. I know it's not funny, but it just struck me that way.

sailorcross said...

I'm so glad that you posted this. I stopped watching TV several years ago because I didn't find anything that worthwhile watching.

I turned it on the other day (just to make sure it still worked), and I was just disgusted by most of what I saw!! What happened to the good, wholesome shows that used to be on!!

As for driving incidents, my daughter had an accident when she still had her learner's permit. She still does not drive, and she is now 23. She is still frightened when she is behind the wheel.

Closing your eyes when you drive--I tend to do that while I'm driving--a habit I must stop! If I'm singing a song in praise, I'll just close my eyes!! Got to stop that!!

Beth

Edie said...

Hi Sonya! Very good message. It is so easy not to notice how satan will slip in evil under our noses so slowly and subtly that it appears that nothing is wrong, until we take a break from it and spend time with God. Then we can look at it with a fresh perspective and see clearly. I almost never watch TV or go to the movies, although I am encouraged with the recent new Christian influence in the movie industry.

Wanda said...

So very true!

Great post, Sonya.

Beautiful blog too.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Me too! And while I do think the boundary lines are slipping in tv land, making a conscious decision to step away has enlivened by spirit to good and evil.

Love your thoughts here.

peace~elaine