Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Intimacy

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water." Psalm 63:1 (NIV)

What is your definition of intimacy? I recently read a phrase that wraps it up for me, into-me-see. Does that sound about right? Being intimate with someone is the closest thing two people can share - either emotionally, or physically.

As humans, we crave intimacy, but I believe most of us struggle to find it.

We long for close friendships, only to find most of them superficial.

We marry our soul mates, and then years later wonder why we aren't as intimate (or close) as we used to be.

When first saved, most new believers can't get enough time with God, but after years of being a Christian, many of us are crying out for God to ignite the flame that once burned bright. As if we need a new wick.

So how do we capture and maintain intimacy, with our spouse, our friends, and most importantly with God?

Perhaps we achieve true intimacy two ways.

First, we need to learn to be transparent - yes that means becoming more vulnerable.

Second, spend time together. The more time two people spend together, the more they begin to resemble one another, and the more they desire to be together.

Seems simple enough, so what's stopping us? Life. Busyness.

Purpose in your heart to spend time with God, and then with those you want to be more intimate with. It takes a lot of work and persistence to become intimate and keep the flame burning. The end result - relationships that are fulfilling and fruitful.

6 comments:

achildoftheking said...

Amen and amen! Very well put Sonya! Thank You Father God for using Sonya to get Your message across. In Jesus' name, amen.

Beth Herring said...

oh, yes. the only way we can grow in Him is more intimacy with Him. I love this post sonya. It is the cry of my heart. To grow deeper and deeper in love with Jesus.

TRUTH SHARER said...

It is the Joy of my heart - something I long for more and more - with my Jesus.

It is closeness to God at its highest form - in all purity of heart and mind, soul and spirit!

Love it!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie

Glory to God said...

This is a really good explanation of how we get into the predicament of "no longer having the flame burning" in our relationships.

I think, just as God first loved us, so we're able to love, it is important to keep our relationship on fire for Christ. That way His love for others, especially intimacy with our spouse, will be manifested.

Thanks for a really great post!

Karen said...

Transparency and vulnerability are two very difficult things for me. And with God, I sometimes excuse it away by thinking He already knows all my stuff, I don't have to lay it all out there. But sometimes, we just have to, don't we?

Great post, Sonya.

Dinny said...

This is the first time for me to post. I have felt God's leading me here. Transparency? As another poster stated, it is very difficult. I know God knows me... and have tried to be very much more open knowing he knows me anyway. With other people, it's like... what if they don't like me.... Then, I think.... I can't be anyone else but myself. Don't know if that helps anyone.