Sunday, May 1, 2011

Think On This

My son wasn't his normal happy self as I brought him home from school the other day.  By the time we reached our driveway, a mere 15 minutes, he was about to explode with anger at his siblings - another out of character thing for him.

Instead of continuing with my planned activities, I chose to go for a short walk with my boy and let him vent about his day.  Immediately, the anger turned to hurt as he recounted some injustices at school.

I did the normal half listening and half praying thing as he unravelled.

We ended up on our swing set.  His venting ended and I had nothing to say.  The truth was, he had a rough day.  So now what? I thought.

God put this verse in my mind:

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Philippians 4:8 (KJV)


I shared it with him and suggested we take turns verbalizing something we were thankful for.  Not naming things from the past or future, but the here and now.  I said I was thankful for the blue sky.  He reluctantly followed my lead.  


Immediately his mood lifted.  I hadn't "solved" his problems, but we no longer focused on them, and they no longer held the same power over his mood.  


What an amazing lesson for me.  I will keep this illustration in mind as I encounter difficult days in my future.  God's word is Living and it works.


PS. I'm thankful that you took the time to read my post today! 

4 comments:

North Jersey Christian Writers Group said...

Thanks for sharing! That is one of my favorite verses, and while it's one thing know it, it's more important to apply it. You said that you will remember, but I'm sure your son will too. What a great life lesson for him.

Laura said...

I love this! Now I know something to try when all I can think of is a horrible day.
Thank you for this :)

Beth Herring said...

there is nothing more important than teaching our kids (and grandkids) to turn to the Truth of God's Word during times of trouble.

XOXO Dr. Kay Elizabeth said...

That is SO interesting that I read your blog. My sadness just lifted from me. That is also the scripture for our Girls' Mentorship Program that was just given by the founder. Have a blessed day and thank you for encouraging me although you don't know me :)